Major Works

Home Forums CASP Forum Major Works

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      davidp
      Keymaster

Major Works always seem to cause problems: delays, cost increases, poor communication, the quality of work. Talk to us about your experiences (not too many private details!).

Elizabeth J

I have been told the damp in party wall with private household will be referred to Major works. I have no idea what this means, how much upheaval this is likely to involve. Does anyone have experience of a large damp problem being solved by Camden, I am a tenant in a terrace street property which I love. But don’t know how much disruption this is going to cause.
      thanks

davidp
        Keymaster

Elizabeth
        Damp is always a tricky problem. It might need to be Major Works. This means it is more than just a little patch up.
        The Council will need to liaise with the neighbours. They will need to take off the plaster in the damp patch to find the problem. Presumably your neighbour also has a damp patch?
        Depending on what they find affects what they do next. Ways to fix damp can be controversial, so I would also ask for a second opinion on any proposed solution before it happens. One size does not fit all.
        After any fixes, the area will need to dry out. Finally, they will need to replaster and repaint the affected area and make good any other things affected (e.g. skirting board). Also note modern materials don’t always work well in old buildings.
        Keep us posted!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.